Monday, October 31, 2011

Review: The Loving Dead

the loving dead

From Goodreads: Kate and Michael are roommates living in the Oakland hills, working at the same Trader Joes supermarket. A night of drunken revelry changes their lives forever, but not in the way that anyone would expect. A slow-spreading plague of zombie-ism breaks out at their house party, spreading amongst their circle of friends, and simultaneously through the Bay Area. This zombie plague - an STD of sorts - is spread through sex and kissing, turning its victims into mindless, horny, voracious killers. Thrust into extremes by this slow- motion tragedy, Kate and Michael are forced to confront the choices they've made in their lives, and their fears of commitment, while trying to stay alive and reunite in the one place in the Bay Area that's likely to be safe and secure from the zombie hordes: Alcatraz.

My Review: I was looking for something to read for Halloween when I saw this book in the library so I picked it up. I was not sure what to expect from this book. Would it be gory? Would it give me nightmares? Would it gross me out leaving me unable to eat for a week?

Thankfully expect for a few gory details it was none of the above. It was a quick fun read.  It is good for people just getting into zombie reads.

The story while it drew me in was not such that I was willing to suspend me disbelief and become emotionally invested in the characters. For some people this can be a deal breaker and for me in some books it is. This story had enough of a plot though to keep me moving forward. The characters do not have much of an arc they stay static for most of the book. There were some points that were so unbelievable that it snapped me out of the book. Such as the group taking a paddleboat across the bay to Alcatraz. I mean the ocean is so rough there that it was near impossible to escape and I am supposed to believe that inexperienced group managed a paddleboat? Other than a few plot points such as these the plot was good.

While I did not love this book. It was tolerable. Maybe zombies not my thing.

Overall I would recommend this book to a person who is looking to get into zombie reads. The ones who are more experienced might think this is too light to read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...